home Filming in Busan About Busan
facebook twitter

Law & Regulations



(1) The ATA carnet Agreement on Equipment Transportation

The ATA carnet is a certificate that replaces the complicated customs documents and security deposits required for temporarily importing/exporting goods or transporting bonds among the more than 30 ATA Convention member states, including Korea. So, when using the ATA carnet, there is no need to fill out additional custom papers or pay customs tariff, VAT , and security deposits to the importing country’s Customs during custom inspections. Thus, if you use the ATA carnet, going through customs in any ATA Convention member country can be a fast and smooth process. There are two ways to collect goods after customs; one way is to collect in person, the other way is to have it collected by a proxy through a local agency in cases where you are bringing goods through freight. You can choose the method that you want and the one that is appropriate for you. Carnets are dealt in each country’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

(2) Special Properties & Animals

1) When Importing Special Properties

There are many times when firearms and swords are needed for producing films. However, in Korea, firearms may not be admitted into the country without permission, and the production and procession of firearms are prohibited. The Regulations Units under the relevant local police officers have the jurisdiction over firearm matters in Korea.

Although the general rule is for the local police office to keep the prop firearm in their custody when it is not being used during the filming, because it is uncertain when it will be used, it is possible to store the prop firearm in safe prop storage after receiving the local police office’s permission. Details regarding this matter can be found through the partner receiving the production service, and when importing firearms, you can receive tax exemption only through ATA carnets.

2) When Importing Animals

In regards to the importing, exporting, and re-importing of all animals; pet animals must have the permission of the Minister of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, and wild animals must have the permission of the Minister of the Ministry of Environment. Along with this, all animals must receive veterinary examinations at the border when going through customs. During the examination, if it is considered by the veterinarian to be necessary, animals can be quarantined for a long period of time, according to the animal’s condition. Also, there are instances where animals die during shipping when only animals are directly imported, so close management such as people of the related organization actually following the animals is needed. Therefore, because there is much difficulty in temporarily importing animals and then sending them out again from your own country, it is advantageous to rent as a package through zoos, related organizations or local related organizations.

(3) Transportation & Clearance of Films

The foreign producer must decide whether film will be bought from his or her country and brought into Korea or if it is going to be bought in Korea. Which method is more advantageous depends on the nature of the film production such as whether it is a joint production or not, or depending on each country's local situation, the amount of shooting locations and film price. These conditions should be looked into carefully before the purchase of the film.

Foreign production companies do not incur any customs duty and VAT except for customs fees because, regardless of whether the film is purchased in or outside of Korea, or whether the film is developed or not after the shoot, the film is sent back to the foreign country after going through customs as a re-export based import or interim manufacturing export.